Monday, February 28, 2005

nepal - my first impressions...

Having totally failed to upload my intial posting in the departure lounge, i looked up at the board to discover my flight was "final calling" - they don't have anouncements in the loungeso i hadn't noticed before....

Ho hum, just about caught it!

My advice to anyone visiting Nepal is not to pre-arrange your visa this end as the "no visa" queue is miles shorter!! Filled out the form, attached my passport photo, paid my money... and bingo! 2 month visa all mine!

Security in Tribhuvan Airport is relaxed to say the least: as normal, bags go through x-ray machine, though noone is stationed at the monitor; and people go through the metal detector, which beeps for everyone and the single (armed) guard just shrugs and waves you through. :)

Eventually my bags came through on the belt, though was more than half expecting them to go missing as I had booked in about 5 hours early at the airport!

As I leave the building another cursory examination of my baggage (quick grope) is performed. The (armed) guard asks what this specific lump is on the right back side of my bag - I can't remember because I packed it three days ago... "erm... a roll-mat I think?".

"What is the purpose of your visit... trekking?". On agreement I get a big smile and waved through. Seems you could get anything into this country!

I wander out into the sunlight. It is only about 10:00am, but already feels warmer than the 12 degrees the pilot quoted...

have to go more later...


nx

5 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

Hello...
so you've discovered the world of blogs...will be good to keep us all up to date with your nepalese shenanigans...
x

Monday, February 28, 2005 2:42:00 pm  
Blogger sarah said...

just a quick after-thought...you might wanna adjust the settings on your blog so that anyone can leave comments...i had to create my own blog in order to do so, and if everyone has to, including your mum, it might get slightly awkward...x

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 3:23:00 am  
Blogger dr_nick said...

thanks sarah, i'll see what i can do!

i am rather new to all this myself though, and so is taking me ages (on a v slow connection) to sort it out...

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 3:00:00 pm  
Anonymous Mum said...

Lovely to hear you haven't been shot!! Thankyou Sarah for idea about making it easier for me (you obviously know about technology-idiotic mothers!!)

Looking forward to more news as and when
XX

Saturday, March 05, 2005 12:21:00 am  
Anonymous Mum said...

Hey wow!!! it works!

Saturday, March 05, 2005 12:21:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home